Saturday, September 8, 2012

IDs (again)- Right/Left Brain Thinking in the Art Room


I’ve written earlier that I use IDs in my class to keep track of supplies in the room. Well, I have a couple of other reasons why I use the IDs. Today I am going to share with you another reason why I use the IDs.

During the first week of school I give my students a Prezi presentation on Right/Left Brain thinking. After the presentation I have the students take a little quiz on the Right/Left characteristics.  This help the students can figure out what their dominance is.  It’s a fun little quiz that helps the students develop some self awareness into how they think.

After they figure out their dominance, I put an R or an L on their IDs depending on the outcome of the quiz. Later on, when we are working on a project and we need to go into small groups, they can be grouped with a nice balance of Right brainers and Left brainers. It’s a great way for them to see how the two types of thinkers will complement each other. And it will let them know that one way of thinking is not better that another, just different.

My Right/Left Brain Prezi

Here is my Right/Left Brain quiz-



What do you think of my IDs? Would having students figure out their Right/Left brain dominance work in your art class? Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!