Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Communicating with Students

I just came back from a convention in Orlando, Florida. The Keynote Speaker was Joel Manby, President and CEO of Herschend Family Entertainment. He recently wrote a book called Love Works: Seven Timeless Principles for Effective Leaders The book explains his unique approach to leadership, in which he uses 7 principles for 'leading with love'. Because he leads his business by these principles his organization is effective and produces an atmosphere that is conducive of long term success- for him, his business and the people he leads.

I thought his ideas had a lot I could take away and apply in my art room. As teachers, we are the leader in our class room and our goal is to equip our students to achieve long term success. So anything that will help me to be more effective and produces long term success has a thumbs up from me.

I'm not going to go into the 7 principles in this post- too much information for this little blog. And I've given you some links above to find out more about him and his book. But, one thing he mentioned that really struck me was how he 'leads with love' when communicating (the good and the bad) with his staff.

He has a three pronged approach-

-Praise in Public

-Admonish in Private

-Always Maintain the Dignity of All When Communicating

I think this is a simple, but great take away (one of many) from listening to him speak. I'll keep his 3 pronged approach in mind whenever I'm communicating and dealing with my students.

What about you- what do you think of this 3 pronged approach to communicating? Would this work in your art room?


2 comments:

Let me know what you think!