Monday, July 14, 2014

An Easy Formative Assesment


Hey, are you looking for an easy way to do a formative assessment in your class? Aren't we all! This might be an idea you can use. Here's what you can do after you introduce a new concept.

This handmade poster is  hung at the front of my classroom.





It's divided into 3 sections. The top section has a smiley face for -I'm OK; the 2nd section has a confused face for- I might need a little help with some things; and the 3rd section has a panicked face for- I totally need help and fast!

After I've taught a concept, I hand each student a sticky note.  The kids put a little blurb on the note for me. They can write things such as- "I'm OK", "I get it", "Review blending", "Go over measurements", "I'm confused", etc. 

They come up and put their sticky notes on the poster in the corresponding section showing me where they think they are in understanding what they've learned. Are they OK, confused or need help fast!


After they put up their sticky note and you get a quick idea of where everybody stands. You can collect the papers and see what needs to be reviewed and who needs some special attention.




It's quick and easy!


What do you think of this formative assessment? Would it work in your classroom?
Do you have any easy and effective formative assessments? I'd like to hear about them!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!