Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Art of Romare Bearden- Making Collages

Using the art work of Harlem Renaissance artist Romare Bearden is a great way to introduce collage. My students view a Prezi  I created which  shows collages by Bearden that highlight two of his favorite themes- North Carolina farm life and the urban life of Harlem, New York City where he lived as an adult. 

The theme of this collage reflects on a student's love of dogs and flowers.


This collage has a USA/sports theme.

This collage was by a student hoping to become a chef.

The  art vocabulary I emphasis in this lesson is overlap and juxtaposition of objects. I point out to the students how Bearden used these to create depth and interest in his collages.  The students then have to pick one or two themes that reflects them for their collage. They also have to add words that will highlight their theme. 



How do you teach collage?  I'd love to hear what works when your students make collages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!