Monday, January 5, 2015

Collage Books- Elementary Style







I spent most of 1st quarter working on these collage books with my 5th graders. The books are to be an 'All About Me' book which reflect things that  are a important in their life. 

We started off looking at the art work of Romare Bearden  to see the techniques he used to make collages. You can see my Romare Bearden Prezi here.





                     



The students were required to make 5 pages and a cover for their book. I was open about what the pages could focus on. They could have a My Family page, My Pet page, My favorite Sport page, My Favorite Class page, etc., or what ever they could think of.


I did required a couple of  specific pages in the books though. One page I require them to have is a poem they've written about our city. In 5th grade Social Studies they study about our city and then they wrote a poem about our city in ELA class. So it was really great to have the help of their classroom teacher with this project. 






Every page was required to have a combination of
 text and images on it. 



Above is an example of a 'My Pet' page.



                  

Lyrics from "My Favorite Song' page are written on 'pop outs' like the one above.




The poems about our city were also written on 'pop outs' like the one above.





An example of 'My Family' page is above.



If students didn't have photographs they could draw pictures like the ones above.




Above is an example of a 'Favorite Sport' page.






One thing I have to really keep reminding the kids of, is to keep the left side clear of too many layers. That is the side where I bind the pages together with metal rings that I get at Micheal's Art and Crafts.

When the pages are all done I let the kids glue some 'jewels' on to them. You can see some 'jewels' glued on the cove page above.

What do you think of our collage books? Would these work in your art class?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!