Friday, July 20, 2012

The Design Process- a sure way to solve a problem



When you start out with a new class of students, don't you want them to all be on the same page? I do.  I start out by explaining  the design process we will be using to complete the projects we work on.  If students know what is expected of them  in  solving a design problem; it leads to less anxiety. They can all focus on the steps they need to take and everyone is on the same page.


I have created a poster that explains the process we use.  It hangs right up on the front board. Nobody can say ‘I don’t know what I’m suppose to be doing.’ All the steps are right there in front. I have taken some ideas from the engineering design process, but have made changes to make it  my own to reflect my art class. My Design Process has six steps. Only the first step is my responsibility.








1.  Define Problem (this is my job)- what problem needs to be solved?

2.  Imagine- think problem through and develop possible solutions

3.  Plan +Create-work on rough drafts

4. Test + Evaluate- Ask yourself “Does your solution solve the  problem?”

5.  Communicate Solution– create final work

6.  Improve- reflect on and improve solution by critique

What do you think? Would this work for your class?  Do you have a design process you use?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!